My superwow friend Celi brought up this comparison today. (And just so you know whose brain you're dealing with, Celi is also the co-founder of the [Somewhat Un]official Shashi Kapoor Fan Club on Facebook. Yeah!) Here are the smilarities I've come up with so far:
- both have close family members also prominent in the film industry (sister Joan; father Vinod)
- both tend to avoid media fracas and keep their private lives relatively private
- both have acting skills far beyond the general quality of many of the productions they're in (America's Sweethearts, Serendipity; Shaadi Se Pehle, Aap Ki Khatir)
- both have delivered very strong performances as iconic longing boyfriends (Say Anything; Dil Chahta Hai)
- both have played artists in love with much older women (Bullets over Broadway; Dil Chahta Hai)
- ...um...both have starred in movies featuring road trips (The Sure Thing; Dil Chahta Hai).